COVID-19 Update | September 4, 2020
September 4, 2020
The California Biotechnology Foundation is committed to keeping you up to date about COVID-19 testing, treatment and prevention advancements. The following resources track what progress has been made as of September 4, 2020. Notable advancements include:
- Pfizer announced its late-stage COVID-19 vaccine trial may have results as early as October.
- AstraZeneca started phase 3 trials of its COVID-19 vaccine in the United States.
- Gilead Sciences announced remdesivir received expanded Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA, enabling the drug’s use to treat all hospitalized patients with COVID-19.
- GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi Just Launched the First Trial of Their COVID-19 Vaccine. Why That Matters.
Barron’s – September 3, 2020
GlaxoSmithKline and Sanofi announced early Thursday morning that their COVID-19 vaccine was entering a 440-patient Phase 1/2 clinical trial in the U.S.
- Pfizer CEO confirms late-stage COVID-19 vaccine trial may have results in October
CNBC – September 3, 2020
Pfizer could have results from its late-stage COVID-19 vaccine trial as early as October and has already enrolled 23,000 volunteers in the phase three trial that began in late July.
- Novavax COVID-19 vaccine is safe, published results show
CNN – September 2, 2020
Early stage clinical trial results show the COVID-19 vaccine candidate made by Novavax is safe and elicits an immune response, according to a study published Wednesday in The New England Journal of Medicine.
- Steroids Can Be Lifesaving for COVID-19 Patients, Scientists Report
New York Times – September 2, 2020
International clinical trials published on Wednesday confirm the hope that cheap, widely available steroid drugs can help seriously ill patients survive COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Vaccines: What’s Coming and When?
Wall Street Journal – September 1, 2020
Some 170 COVID-19 vaccines are in development around the world, according to the World Health Organization, each one promising to protect people from COVID-19 and allow them to go back to work and school.
- AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine becomes third to begin Phase three trials in the United States
CNN – September 1, 2020
British drugmaker AstraZeneca said Monday it has started Phase 3 trials of its experimental COVID-19 vaccine in the United States, becoming the third company to start late-stage trials of a vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
- Vir, GSK push COVID-19 antibody drug straight into mid-stage tests
BioPharma Dive – August 31, 2020
Vir Biotechnology and GlaxoSmithKline said Monday they have initiated the first human trial of their experimental COVID-19 antibody drug, a Phase 2/3 study aiming to keep the disease from worsening in patients with mild or moderate COVID-19 symptoms.
- Gilead’s Investigational Antiviral Veklury® (Remdesivir) Receives U.S. Food and Drug Administration Emergency Use Authorization for the Treatment of Patients With Moderate COVID-19
Gilead- August 28, 2020
Gilead Sciences, Inc. today announced the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expanded the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) enabling use of the investigational antiviral Veklury® (remdesivir) to treat all hospitalized patients with COVID-19, in addition to the previous authorization for patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19.
Rely on California Biotechnology Foundation to monitor breaking news and provide updates on the latest advancements in COVID-19 diagnostics, vaccines and treatments.
Stay informed on the latest news and trends on the economic and health benefits of this industry by visiting the new CABiotech.org
If you have any questions about informational briefings contact California Biotechnology Foundation Executive Director Patty Cooper at (916)764-2434 or email@example.com.