COVID-19 Update | September 11, 2020
September 11, 2020
The California Biotechnology Foundation is committed to keeping you up to date about COVID-19 testing, treatment and prevention advancements. The following resources track what progress has been made as of September 11, 2020. Notable advancements include:
- Nine drug companies pledged Tuesday that they would not submit COVID-19 vaccine candidates for FDA review until safety and efficacy are shown in large clinical trials.
- Pfizer and BioNTech announced positive results in their COVID-19 vaccine candidate according to preclinical data.
- The US Food and Drug Administration developed an app that enables doctors around the world to consult with each other and could aid in the fight against COVID-19.
- Safety Review Underway of AstraZeneca’s Vaccine Trial
New York Times – September 10, 2020
Scientists praised the decision by AstraZeneca to suspend its late-stage coronavirus vaccine trials and begin a safety review.
- The FDA’s new app for frontline doctors could help discover COVID-19 treatments faster
CNN – September 9, 2020
Cure ID, an app developed by the US Food and Drug Administration enabling doctors to consult with each other across hospitals, academic disciplines and international borders.
- Preclinical Data Supports Efficacy for Pfizer, BioNTech Phase II/III COVID-19 Vaccine
Biospace – September 9, 2020
Preclinical data for Pfizer and BioNTech’s Phase II/III COVID-19 mRNA vaccine candidate generated BNT162b2 strong anti-viral effects against COVID-19, the two companies announced.
- Nine Drug Company CEOs Sign Pledge on COVID-19 Vaccine
Wall Street Journal – September 8, 2020
Nine drugmakers signed a pledge promising not to file for regulatory approval or authorization of their experimental COVID-19 vaccines until the shots have been shown to work safely through late-stage clinical testing.
- Inovio partners with Thermo Fisher to bolster COVID-19 vaccine supply
Reuters – September 8, 2020
Inovio Pharmaceuticals Inc announced Thermo Fisher Scientific would manufacture the drug developer’s experimental coronavirus vaccine, as it looks to boost the supply ahead of large trials this month.
- Moderna slows COVID-19 vaccine trial enrollment to ensure minority representation, CEO says
CNBC – September 4, 2020
Moderna, one of the developers in the lead for a vaccine to prevent COVID-19, is slowing enrollment slightly in its large clinical trial to ensure it has sufficient representation of minorities most at risk for the disease, its chief executive said.
- Twist Bioscience Announces Potent SARS-CoV-2 Neutralizing Data from COVID-19 Therapeutic Antibody Program
Business Newswire – September 2, 2020
Twist Bioscience Corporation announced data demonstrating the potent neutralizing effects of multiple potential therapeutic antibodies against COVID-19.
Rely on California Biotechnology Foundation to monitor breaking news and provide updates on the latest advancements in COVID-19 diagnostics, vaccines and treatments.
Stay informed on the latest news and trends on the economic and health benefits of this industry by visiting the new CABiotech.org
If you have any questions about informational briefings contact California Biotechnology Foundation Executive Director Patty Cooper at (916)764-2434 or [email protected].