COVID-19 Update | March 27, 2020
March 27, 2020
As circumstances around coronavirus (COVID-19) continue to evolve quickly, the California Biotechnology Foundation wants to keep you informed about the progress being made by biotechnology researchers in California and across the nation to expand available testing, treat the virus and prevent its spread.
The following resources track what progress has been made as of March 27, 2020. Notable advancements include
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals (San Diego, CA) is in the development phase for a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Novartis has committed to donating up to 130 million doses of generic hydroxychloroquine to support the global COVID-19 pandemic response.
- Takeda is developing a treatment approach that uses concentrated antibodies and may be available in nine to 18 months.
- Pharmas to share assets in COVID-19 consortium led by Narasimhan, Gates
BioCentury – March 26, 2020 Global alliances among public, private and non-profit entities to counter COVID-19 continue to gather steam, with one of the latest alliances comprising over a dozen life sciences companies and the Gates Foundation.
- Vir Biotechnology reports early progress in antibody treatment for Covid-19
STAT – March 25, 2020
Vir Biotechnology, a San Francisco-based biotechnology firm, said Wednesday that laboratory testing showed two of its antibody drugs appeared to neutralize the coronavirus that causes Covid-19 and that it would pursue testing.
- Local biotech company hopes to develop home testing kit for coronavirus
Sacramento Business Journal – March 25, 2020
The quick spread of COVID-19 is prompting Thermogenesis to shift its focus towards developing a new test for “rapid diagnosis” of the virus, the company stated in a recent filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- When might experimental drugs to treat Covid-19 be ready? A forecast
STAT – March 24, 2020
Drug companies and medical researchers are making heroic efforts to deliver new medicines [for COVID-19]. Several dozen are now in development, and you can see highlights of those efforts here.
- Amgen and the Amgen Foundation commit up to $12.5 million to support COVID-19 relief efforts
Press Release – March 23, 2020
Amgen and the Amgen Foundation today announced an initial commitment of up to $12.5 million to support U.S. and global relief efforts to address critical needs in communities impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- UC Irvine in clinical trial to test drug’s potential to treat COVID-19
Los Angeles Times – March 23, 2020
UC Irvine announced Monday at a digital news conference that it is participating in a clinical trial to test the antiviral drug remdesivir as a potential treatment for COVID-19.
- Alphabet’s Verily expands its coronavirus screening sites to two more California counties
CNBC – March 23, 2020
Alphabet’s Verily announced Monday it has expanded its COVID-19 screening and testing sites to two new locations in California (Riverside and Sacramento counties).
- These Drugs Are Helping Our Coronavirus Patients
Wall Street Journal – March 22, 2020
A flash of potential good news from the front lines of the coronavirus pandemic: A treatment is showing promise. Doctors in France, South Korea and the U.S. are using an antimalarial drug known as hydroxychloroquine with success.
- In Clinical Trials and Laboratories, the Hunt is on to Find Vaccines and Drugs to Treat, Prevent Novel Coronavirus
60 Minutes – March 22, 2020
Inovio Pharmaceuticals employees are working against the clock to create a vaccine to prevent people from ever getting the virus. Inovio is using DNA biotechnology, cutting edge science that has yet to produce a marketable vaccine.
- Johnson & Johnson CEO on potential coronavirus vaccine: ‘I think we’ll have important data by the end of the year’
Fox News – March 22, 2020
Alex Gorsky, the CEO of Johnson & Johnson, discussed his company’s efforts to develop a vaccine for COVID-19, saying, “I think we’ll have important data by the end of the year.”
- WHO launches global megatrial of the four most promising coronavirus treatments
Science Magazine – March 22, 2020
On Friday, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced a large global trial, called SOLIDARITY, to find out whether any can treat infections with the new coronavirus for the dangerous respiratory disease.
- Novartis commits to donate up to 130 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to support the global COVID-19 pandemic response
GlobeNewswire – March 20, 2020
Novartis announced today its commitment to donate up to 130 million doses of generic hydroxychloroquine to support the global COVID-19 pandemic response.
California Biotechnology Foundation will continue to monitor breaking news and provide updates weekly.
Stay informed on the latest news and trends on the economic and health benefits of this important industry by visiting the new CABiotech.org
If you have any questions about informational briefings contact California Biotechnology Foundation Executive Director Patty Cooper at (916)764-2434 or [email protected].