COVID-19 Update | June 19, 2020
June 19, 2020
The California Biotechnology Foundation is committed to keeping you up to date on COVID-19 testing, treatment and prevention advancements. The following resources track what progress has been made as of June 19, 2020. Notable advancements include:
- Gilead announced it will begin a clinical trial of remdesivir in pediatric patients with moderate-to-severe COVID-19.
- As Moderna prepares to launch a Phase 3 trial of its COVID-19 vaccine in July, the company’s CEO says there’s a high probability that the company’s product could reach distribution in 2021.
- Verily announced that its COVID-19 testing program has been expanded to more than 130 cities across the U.S. and has provided over 256,000 tests.
- Gilead to Test Antiviral Drug Remdesivir in Pediatric Patients with COVID-19
Biospace – June 18, 2020
Gilead announced it plans to soon start enrolling an open-label, single-arm Phase II/III clinical trial of remdesivir in about 50 pediatric patients with moderate-to-severe COVID-19, including newborns through adolescents. The trial will be performed at more than 30 locations in the U.S. and Europe.
- Moderna’s Coronavirus Vaccine Will Be Ready for Distribution in 2021, CEO Says
Barron’s – June 18, 2020
As Moderna prepares to launch a Phase 3 trial of its COVID-19 vaccine in July, the company’s CEO says there’s a high probability that the company’s product could reach distribution in 2021.
- Exclusive: EU in advanced talks with Johnson & Johnson on COVID-19 vaccine deal
Reuters – June 18, 2020
The European Commission is in advanced talks with pharmaceuticals giant Johnson & Johnson to reserve or make an up-front purchase of its COVID-19 vaccine under development, two officials familiar with the talks told Reuters.
- Verily’s COVID-19 community testing project now reaches 130 cities nationwide
Fierce Biotech – June 16, 2020
Verily announced that its COVID-19 testing program has been expanded to more than 130 cities and towns across the U.S. and has provided over 256,000 tests through a growing network of public and private partners.
- 9 Pharmaceutical Companies Racing For A COVID-19 Vaccine
Forbes – June 16, 2020
With more than 6 million confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide and the number increasing daily, the race for a COVID-19 vaccine is moving at full speed. Globally, there are more than 100 vaccines under development — with nine of them in human clinical trials already.
- AstraZeneca Strikes Deal with European Nations to Supply 400 Million Doses of COVID-19 Vaccine
Biospace – June 15, 2020
As AstraZeneca closes in on developing a vaccine against COVID-19, the U.K. pharma giant struck a deal with Europe’s Inclusive Vaccines Alliance to supply up to 400 million doses of the preventative medication by the end of 2020 – if it clears the clinic.
- Eli Lilly Begins Phase III Study of RA Drug to Treat COVID-19
BioSpace – June 15, 2020
Eli Lilly will assess its JAK1/JAK2 inhibitor Olumiant (baricitinib) as a potential treatment for COVID-19 in a Phase III study. Indianapolis-based Eli Lilly said the latest study will complement an ongoing study of the rheumatoid arthritis drug being conducted in partnership with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
- Gilead’s latest deal aims to spread COVID-fighting drug globally
San Francisco Business Times – June 15, 2020
Gilead Sciences Inc. continued to build out its global network of manufacturers and distributors for the COVID-19-fighting drug remdesivir, signing on a large Indian company in its latest deal.
- Sinovac Biotech’s COVID-19 Vaccine Shows Positive Early Results
Biospace – June 15, 2020
Beijing-based Sinovac Biotech announced positive early data from a Phase I/II clinical trial of its COVID-19 vaccine, CoronaVac. The vaccine showed both favorable immunogenicity and safety.
Rely on California Biotechnology Foundation to monitor breaking news and provide updates on the latest advancements in COVID-19 diagnostics, vaccines and treatments.
Stay informed on the latest news and trends on the economic and health benefits of this industry by visiting the new CABiotech.org
If you have any questions about informational briefings contact California Biotechnology Foundation Executive Director Patty Cooper at (916)764-2434 or [email protected].