COVID-19 Update | August 21, 2020
August 21, 2020
The California Biotechnology Foundation is committed to keeping you up to date about COVID-19 testing, treatment and prevention advancements. The following resources track what progress has been made as of August 21, 2020. Notable advancements include:
- Roche and Regeneron are teaming up to develop antibody drugs for COVID-19 treatment.
- Pfizer and BioNTech released early results from its vaccine study showing initial positive responses to one of its two vaccines in development.
- The Food and Drug Administration found positive results in antiviral drug, remdesivir, which assists with recovery in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
- Johnson & Johnson to test coronavirus vaccine in 60,000 volunteers
Reuters- August 20, 2020
Johnson & Johnson aims to test its experimental coronavirus vaccine in up to 60,000 volunteers in a late-stage trial scheduled to start in September, according to a U.S. government database of clinical trials.
- Pfizer and BioNTech’s favored COVID-19 vaccine has fewer side effects than their first
STAT – August 20, 2020
On Thursday, Pfizer and BioNTech posted the results from all 332 people who received either vaccine, referred to as vaccines B1 or B2 — and indeed, B2 recipients experienced markedly fewer adverse events tied to the vaccine.
- What to Know About COVID-19 Tests, from PCR to Antigen to Antibody
TIME – August 20, 2020
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has so far granted emergency-use authorization to more than 200 different tests meant to detect a current or past infection from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.
- Roche and Regeneron link up on a COVID-19 antibody drugs
CNBC – August 19, 2020
Regeneron and Roche are teaming up on investigational antibody drugs against COVID-19, with the U.S. company to sell it in the United States and the Swiss drugmaker to sell it elsewhere, should the drug win approval.
- Federal Study of COVID-19 Treatments Enters a New Phase
New York Times – August 18, 2020
A large federal study that found an antiviral drug, remdesivir, can hasten the recovery in hospitalized COVID-19 patients, has begun a new phase of investigation.
- Vanda’s experimental COVID-19 drug shows promise in interim trial data
Reuters – August 18, 2020
COVID-19 patients with pneumonia improved faster when treated with Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc’s experimental therapy than those on placebo, the company said on Tuesday, citing an interim analysis of data from a late-stage study.
- How a biotech CEO figured out COVID-19 surveillance testing for 50 companies with 12-hour turnaround times
CNBC – August 14, 2020
One biotech CEO put together a system for 50 companies that enables researchers to get back to labs safely since clinical research can’t be done from home.
- Inside the multibillion dollar race for a COVID-19 vaccine
CNN – August 14, 2020
Dozens of research teams around the world are working to develop a vaccine COVID-19, using a mix of established techniques and new technologies.
Rely on California Biotechnology Foundation to monitor breaking news and provide updates on the latest advancements in COVID-19 diagnostics, vaccines and treatments.
Stay informed on the latest news and trends on the economic and health benefits of this industry by visiting the new CABiotech.org
If you have any questions about informational briefings contact California Biotechnology Foundation Executive Director Patty Cooper at (916)764-2434 or firstname.lastname@example.org.